RYSS VIPS Program
RYSS Volunteers in Public Schools (VIPS)
When students see that their community takes an active interest in their educational success, they know that a tangible support network is standing solidly behind them, encouraging them to reach their goals and their dreams. We welcome the work of the RYSS Volunteers in Public Schools (RYSS VIPS), the many parents and community partners who donate their time, resources, and knowledge to students and teachers in every classroom.
As a RYSS VIPS, you can provide invaluable help as a mentor, tutor, fundraiser, speaker and presenter, chaperone, or assistant. RYSS VIPS are caring adults who provide enrichment and hands-on experience with computers; help in the library, clinic, office, or cafeteria; and provide other support with after-school programs, field trips, community service projects, and extracurricular activities.
There are five steps that you take to become a RYSS VIPS:
- Register in person at the RYSS or school office.
- Complete a registration form and present a photo identification*.
- The identification information will be entered into the RYSS database for processing and for submission for a criminal history background check.
- The criminal history background will take 2-3 weeks to complete.
- Once you are cleared to volunteer, you are eligible to volunteer throughout RYSS
*Accepted types of photo identification include:
- Texas Driver’s License
- Official Passport
- Texas Identification Card
- Official U.S. Military ID
- Drivers License -- issued by any state in the U.S.
- Matricula Consular
- Identification Card -- issued by any state in the U.S.
- Resident Alien Card
Once you are registered as a RYSS VIPS, contact a school to volunteer. When volunteering, be sure to sign in and out on a campus to document your hours of service.
For more information about volunteering at a RYSS campus, please visit the RYSS District Office at or call 713-640-3700. You must be present to submit the background authorization information form with a valid photo identification.
To volunteer at the Brownsville RYSS campus, parents are required to go to BRYSS to complete the background authorization information form and show a valid photo identification to Ms. Guadalupe Meneces, the BRYSS Family and Community Engagement Parent Liaison.